Pinterest lets users connect with others by “pinning” photos, articles and videos from around the internet to virtual “pinboards,” which are organized by subject and interest. Browse through different themes and categories and follow other Pinterest users whose interests match yours. Popular categories are food, drinks, recipes, design, and music, with hundreds more. Pinterest’s goal is to “connect everyone in the world through the things they find interesting.”
To use Pinterest, install the Pin It widget in your bookmarks and click it when you find something you want to share. Just select the image/article/video, the pinboard it should go to, and include a description. Your pins can be seen by anyone on Pinterest, and can also be shared on Facebook and Twitter.
Who Is Using Pinterest?
- 10.4 million registered users
- 5,768,000 US monthly unique visitors
- 75% of users are female, 25% male
- 12.4% are ages 18-24, 37.4% are 25-34, 23.2% are 35-44, 14.9% are 45-54 and 12.2% are 55+
- 75% have a household income of $100K+
- 74% have visited a quick service restaurant in the past week and 63% have visited a full service restaurant in the past month
Source: Nielsen @plan 2012
Why Should I Use It?
It’s a great way to share food images, because food has delicious visual appeal. Connect with customers who share your interests through images, recipes and inspiration. It’s a great way to drive traffic to your website and other social media platforms, and could even generate increased visits and customer loyalty.
Pinterest Is Best For:
- Showcasing your restaurant through your food images, recipes, cocktails and inspiration.
- Sharing special events, favorite seasonal ingredients, and even the music you play in your restaurant to connect with others who share your interests.
- Gaining insight into local trends.
- Promotional opportunities. You can invite users to pin images around a specific theme to their own boards and tag them using a hashtag (#). This way, you can easily find the pins and provide a special offer to the winner. Ex: #MortonsSteak
How to Create an Account:
Visit www.pinterest.com and click “Request an Invite.”
Measurements and Analytics:
Pinterest lets you track your number of pins, likes, followers and people you are following.
Pinterest Helpful Hints:
- Provide value to your followers. Pin images of your food, drinks, events and recipes.
- Create a story. Use boards to share images that show the evolution of your restaurant, menu, chef and dining experience.
- Engage with other users. Follow their boards, and re-pin images and stories that inspire you.
- When pinning an image that isn’t your own, always give credit and include a description.
- Visit http://pinterest.com/about/etiquette for detailed information on Pinterest etiquette.
Pinterest Widget: Add this button to your bookmarks, and click it when you see an image/article/video you want to pin.
Pin: A pin is an image/video/article added to Pinterest. You can pin things through the Pinterest widget or by uploading them from your computer or phone. Pins from the widget will include a link back to the original source.
Re-pin: Adding an image you found on Pinterest to your restaurant’s board.
Liking: Liking a pin adds it to your restaurant’s profile likes, but does not post it on your board.
Pinboard:A set of pins organized by subject matter or interest.
Source: Conagra Foodservice Guide to Social Media